How to Protect Your Property
- Make a list of items to bring inside in the event of a storm. Having a list will help you remember things that may be broken or blown away in strong winds.
- Keep trees and shrubbery trimmed. Make trees more wind resistant by removing diseased or damaged limbs, then strategically remove branches so that wind can blow through. Strong winds frequently break weak limbs and hurl them at great speed, causing damage or injury when they hit. Debris collection services may not be operating just before a storm, so it is best to do this well in advance of approaching storms.
- Remove any debris or loose items in your yard. Branches and firewood may become missiles in strong winds.
- Consider installing permanent shutters to cover windows. Shutters can be closed quickly and provide the safest protection for windows.
- Strengthen garage doors. Garage doors are often damaged or destroyed by flying debris, allowing strong winds to enter. As winds apply pressure to the walls, the roof can be lifted off, and the rest of the house can easily follow.
This and more info can be found on: http://www.disastercenter.com/guide/tornado.html
And remember if you do have the misfortune of something happening to your home, chose the right contractor. Springtree is MaterElite Certified, BBB Certified, and members of the NTRCA – allowing you some peace of mind that you have the “Right contractor” that will do the best and most honest job for you!